The Bureau of Diplomatic Security (DS) is the security and law enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of State (the Department). DS is a world leader in international investigations, threat analysis, cyber security, counter-terrorism, security technology, and protection of people, property, and information. Its primary mission is to provide a safe and secure environment for the conduct of U.S. foreign policy. The Office of Security Technology (ST) supports the DS mission through the application and use of appropriate technical security countermeasures.
The Countermeasures Program (CMP) and Security Technology Operations (STO) divisions are operational components within ST. CMP is primarily responsible for worldwide technical countermeasures policy for the Department. Countermeasures policies enforce the protection of sensitive and classified information. CMP also manages the overseas technical surveillance countermeasures (TSCM) program.
- Focuses primarily on research and development of equipment required to detect and locate threats posed to USG by emerging technologies.
- Supports the Technical Surveillance Countermeasures Branch.
- Supports the Operations and Radio Frequency (RF) countermeasure sections to research, design, develop and/or modify existing in-house software.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging threats through provided reporting. Research and propose software solutions to counter those threats.
- Collaborate with field users from design through implementation of in-house developed software.
- Work closely with technicians and hardware engineers to develop innovative software solutions.
- Work with other Department of State organizations to determine and understand the vulnerabilities associated with, but not limited to:
- IEEE 802.15
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Wi-Fi)
- Zigbee and Zwav
Knowledge and Skills
- Possess intermediate skills using Microsoft Suite including, Word, Excel, Power Point and E-mail business software.
- Ability to demonstrate a good attitude and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Must have the ability to multi-task efficiently, work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects and have a strong attention to detail.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS) or higher in Computer Science or similar field required.
- Customer will accept Junior to Principal level engineer.
- Experience with Linux software development.
- Experience with computer graphic API’s such as OpenGL.
- Understanding of software defined radio systems.
- Understanding and/or experience programming on Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or similar hardware platform.
- Understanding of the Internet of Things (IOT) and latest associated trends.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- CONUS: normal office environment.
- OCONUS: travel may include critical threat locations around the world with austere living conditions.
- May be required to travel up to 10% of the time.
- May be required to travel OCONUS to conduct installation, training or maintenance at diplomatic facilities. Accordingly, a valid passport is required.
- Domestic travel may be required for training and program coordination.
Interim TOP SECRET with ability to obtain SCI access.
JDRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Job Category||Software Engineer|